Most dog owners at some point in time have dealt with, or known, an anxious dog. Whether its just begging for an afternoon run, vet visit or full on owner separation anxiety, it can often cause headaches for both the dog and owner!
Some signs of anxiety include:
• Howling or crying when you leave
* Destroying furniture or other valuables when you are gone
* Over-excitement when you arrive home
There are several options other than dosing your dog with anxiety-reducing medicine. Help set your stress-inclined dog up for success and know that when you yell or punish an anxious pup it only make the situation worse! If your dog is often stressed when you leave, try a few strategies like:
• Setting up a crate for your dog while you are gone
• Placing valuables out of reach
• Leaving a few toys out for playtime or stress-relief
• Low volume, calming music or radio
• Plenty of food and water
Have you dealt with an anxious dog? Share your own personal tips in our Comment section below!