With Fall in full swing, pumpkins are popping up everywhere from Autumn décor to the dinner table! There are many ways to utilize this fresh fall produce with both DIY home decorations and delicious recipe ideas.
- DIY pumpkin decorations:
• Spray paint – Go for the gold! Spray pumpkins in a gold shimmer for instant upscale Fall décor
• Lace – Slip a black lace stocking over a pumpkin for an unusual gothic Halloween look
• Ombre – Choose naturally colored pumpkins but display either stacked or lined up in order from light to dark – ombre effects are on trend for this Fall
- Health benefits of pumpkin:
• Low calorie
• High in anti-oxidants – vitamins A, C, & E
• Natural source of copper, calcium & potassium
Do you have a favorite pumpkin recipe? Share in the Comments!
Fall apples are a fresh, Pennsylvania favorite! Autumn offers the pick of the litter when it comes to this locally produced fruit. Perfect for mid-day snacking, baked in a pie, or start canning now to have holiday presents for friends and family!
One classic way to preserve is by making apple butter. Apple butter has a long history in the Pennsylvania & Ohio areas – like tapping trees for maple syrup, it was often a big celebration, with families and friends all gathering to pitch in for this yearly tradition.
Apples are are peeled, corred and boiled to create this sweet and creamy fruit butter. Copper kettles were a mainstay of this tradition, kept with a fire underneath for an entire day to make a batch of apple butter. Now, apple butter can be made worry-free at home in a crock-pot or with some watch, on the stove.
To make your own apple butter at home, follow one of these recommended recipes:
Crock Pot Apple Butter
Classic All Day Apple Butter
Applesauce Apple Butter
What’s your favorite way to enjoy Fall apples? Fresh from the tree? Pie? Crisp? Carmel dipped? Share your Favorite in our Comments!